Camile Cosby issued a statement Monday concerning the allegations made against her husband comedian Bill Cosby.
She suggested that her husband, not the women, is the party being harmed.
“None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim,” she said. “But the question should be asked — who is the victim?”
Allegations of assault by Cosby date back as far as 1960, and at least 15 women have come forward with some kind of story about Cosby.
Cosby is being sued for defamation by one alleged victim and for sexual battery by another woman who says he forced her to perform a sex act when she was 15. He has never been charged in connection with any of the accusations, and his lawyers deny many of the allegations. He settled with a Pennsylvania woman who in a 2005 lawsuit said Cosby drugged and molested her in 2004.
Camille Cosby went on to liken the assault accusations against the comedian to the UVA rape story run in Rolling Stone. “The (Rolling Stone) story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be proved to be untrue. Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband – until that story unwound,” she said.
“The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you all knew through his work. He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend. He is the man you thought you knew.”
The statement is the first one released by Cosby’s wife since the allegations trickled out in the public last month.