Hezbollah targeted an Israeli military convoy with missiles on Wednesday, killing two Israeli soldiers and a U.N. peacekeeper who hailed from Spain. The attack, which wounded seven other soldiers, occurred near the Shebaa Farms area of the Golan Heights, according to Voice of America News. Israel U.N. Ambassador Ron Prosor wrote the U.N. Security Council and Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon, “Israel will not stand by as Hezbollah targets Israelis,” and requested the Council to “unequivocally and publically condemn Hezbollah.”
The U.N. lamely warned both Hezbollah and Israel to use “maximum restraint.” The U.S. government called the attack “An attack of violence” while simply echoing the U.N.; State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki weakly said, “We urge all parties to refrain from any action that could escalate the situation.”
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asserted, “Those behind the attack today will pay the full price.” He added, “I suggest that all those who are challenging us on our northern border, look at what happened in Gaza, not far from the city of Sderot. Hamas suffered the most serious blow since it was founded.”
Hezbollah issued s statement that implied the attack was revenge for an airstrike earlier in Syria in January that killed six Hezbollah members and an Iranian general.
Retired Major-General Israel Zvi said Hezbollah hit the Shebaa Farms area, rather than Syria, because that area is claimed by Lebanon, where Hezbollah resides. Israel has claimed the Shebaa Farms area since the 1967 war.
Rockets fired from Syria landed in the Golan Heights on Tuesday; Israeli troops returned fire.