Posted to WIDK by Jenn Flanagan
(Daily Mail) – A couple of popular Los Angeles radio shock jocks have been yanked from the airwaves over comments they made about Whitney Houston.
KFI AM 640 suspended John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou, the hosts of the ‘John and Ken Show,’ for ‘making insensitive and inappropriate comments about the late Whitney Houston,’ it said in a statement.
‘Management does not condone, support or tolerate statements of this kind,’ the station added.
Among their inflammatory statements yesterday, the hosts called the late singer a ‘crack ho’ and said she was ‘cracked out for 20 years.’
Kobylt added: ‘Can you imagine, you’re Clive Davis, and she has not been – she has not had her head screwed on right for 20 years?’
Kobylt said in statement that he and Chiampou ‘used language that was inappropriate’ and they ‘sincerely apologize’ to their listeners and to Houston’s family.
‘We made a mistake, and we accept the station’s decision,’ said Kobylt.
The hosts, who broadcast their show weekday afternoons, will return to the airwaves on February 27.
Kobylt and Chiampou often rail against taxes and illegal immigration.
The National Hispanic Media Coalition said last year that it targeted the show’s advertisers to urge them to stop backing the program.
The group said the hosts promote hate speech and appealed to listeners to call and harass an advocate for immigrant rights about state legislation to give financial aid to illegal immigrant college students.
Alex Nogales, president and CEO of NHMC, said in a statement: ‘A temporary suspension is not enough.
‘How many times do John and Ken get to spew their hate, apologize and then do it again after taking off a long weekend?’
Mr Nogales added: ‘KFI must permanently remove John and Ken from the air. Los Angeles deserves better.’